top of page
  • Writer's pictureAudra Krieg

Hello, Hilton Garden Inn? It's Me, Audra.

It's been quiet on the blog this week. Truth be told, I am just trying to wrap my head around all of the super awesome and exciting and strangely crazy things that are happening in our family. Some of these are Top Secret Things.

This week we experienced extreme highs and some lows but what we've learned is the glue that holds our entire world together.

I've been sick all week. I've been super busy running our businesses from home after last weeks big wedding expo and our contractor has been working on the exterior of our home renovations. It's been crazy busy. But the lessons didn't happen in the everyday grind. The lessons happened on an out-of-the-ordinary Wednesday.

Wednesday started business as usual. Wake up, Joey to school, organize the house and the day, working from home while entertaining and loving on a super sweet Penny. Our contractor arrived bright and early to work on our home. It was typical.

At 3:30pm I picked up Joey from school and returned home to a loud alarm going off in our home. From outside our door, we could hear our dog alerting us. Joey quickly took his sister and dog outside while I ran around the house trying to figure it out. Realizing within minutes that it was the carbon monoxide detector. I got out of there as quickly as I could and joined the kids outside. True to form, I called my Mom.

Yes, in an emergency situation, I called my Mom...before 911. That is who I am. But if you know my Mom, you probably understand. She's the best. Of course, her advice was to hang up and call 911. Why didn't I think of that? (Adulting is hard.)

Just 4 minutes after my 911 call, the Southern Shores Fire Department had arrived along with EMT's and police officers. They carefully inspected our entire home and property for about 40 minutes and didn't find any gas. What they did find was a house filled with old, faulty alarms.

Aparently The House That Faith Built had the original carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and while they did pass the "Test" button test when we moved it... they were all over 10 years old and wanted to let us know that they needed replaced!

While we sat in the comfort of our warm vehicle just down the street, I just looked at our house and the unknown of what was going on. We have worked so hard to get to this place of home-ownership and I was questioning why something like this could happen just months after we moved in. Preparing for the worst and not really thinking, I called the Hilton in Kitty Hawk and booked a room for the night. When I hung up the phone, my sweet 11 year old mentioned that this was in God's hands and I had no reason to worry. Again, why didn't I think of that? Overwhelmed with that peace, I realized that this is the exact way that I seem to live my life. I live somewhere in the zone of "My cup runneth over" and "My plate is too full." Blessings on blessings on blessings. That's all I am concentrating on after Wednesday. Can you imagine if I had walked my children into a gas filled home? Certainly our loved dog would not have been able to alert us about anything at that point and we are so so grateful that it was just a fluke. Thank God that this didn't happen at 1am or... worse yet, not at all.... Check your alarms, people! We went straight to Home Depot to grab new alarms and came home to install them. If my plate is ever too full... I'm now reminding myself that my cup also runneth over. Life is good.

And... the kids thought the fire trucks were cool. So, there is that! Happy Sunday! May your cup runneth over! xo


bottom of page